Yes you can do this! I know. You want to feel more relaxed as well as energized, more balanced some how. “Well if I could just get a week off work (every week) to lie on a beach in a tropical country I’d be great”. Yeah, I get it, our outer conditions are usually not as we would like. So we do our best to strengthen ourselves from within.
We all need a strong nervous system in modern life. Our nervous system may have taken some hits from stress, thinking too much or working too much and also from drug or alcohol abuse. Acupuncture often looks to the Heart and Kidney systems involvement when stress is the issue where there is Heart Fire (excess energy) often caused by Kidney Deficiency (weak Kidneys not controlling the heart-mind). Acupuncture can be used to calm an overactive (Yang excess) nervous system or the end result of chronic stress that often leads to is a depressed nervous system (Yang deficiency).
The way Japanese acupuncture works is to find the leaks in the system, to plug up the energy leaks in where our energy may be draining so we can keep more energy for ourselves, to live our life dreams. The acupuncturist will test reflex points using gentle pressure to find out what is imbalanced and apply what will get best results for your body. Since each person’s health history and constitution are unique, the advantage of using a more individualized approach using confirmation signs means less needling and faster results rather than applying a standardized formula for every case.
I work to make acupuncture is a deeply relaxing restorative and gentle experience for people. You have a quiet space all to yourself with some soothing music if you like, where you can rest, recharge and let the needles do their work.
Some things you can try today to soothe your nervous system are:
- Make it a goal. When we do have time in our day to relax, we can set an intention to make it truly relaxing. Instead of filling our free time with too many distracting multi-tasking activities we can take it down a notch. When eating for example, we can also create a peaceful space visually, energetically and with attention to our thoughts to allow ourself to stay in more peaceful, healthy energies.
- Winding down before bed. We can improve sleep through relaxing before sleep by listening to soft peaceful music, meditation, taking a bath, or journaling to help let go of concerns of the day.
- Breathing exercises. There are some great ones you can find here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9jmO6xwFfs
I look forward to seeing you soon!
Yours in health,
Greetings Dear Readers,
We’re nearing the end of winter in the northern hemisphere and many of you are experiencing fatigue or depression (sometimes depression in TCM can be about Qi or energy deficiency – there’s not enough energy for the body and the energy debt can bring the mind down with it). Just understand that this fatigue is seasonally normal. The winter months are a time of rest and retreat (hibernation). Many of us keep working too hard and staying up late over the winter causing exhaustion in early spring. If we’ve pushed ourselves too hard for too long we may experience adrenal fatigue also known as adrenal burn-out. In TCM adrenal burn-out is Kidney deficiency (the adrenals sit on top of the kidneys). Please do yourself a favour and listen to your body. If it’s asking for rest, please try to prioritize rest and sleep when you need it. Your body works miracles during rest and sleep time, detoxifying your liver, cleaning your blood, clearing your mind, rejuvenating your glands.
Many people become addicted to caffeine because caffeine stimulates the adrenals to release cortisol which activates the sympathetic nervous system. When the adrenals are healthy they will produce cortisol naturally and release it at the right time, mainly first thing in the morning. Healthy adrenals gets us leaping out of bed in the morning and starting the day with a bang. Remember that from childhood? When we’ve been working too much and under too much stress, the adrenals can get weak. So may reach for caffeine to stimulate the gland chemically. The addiction to caffeine, even the desire for caffeine in the first place indicates that the adrenals (Kidney yang) is weak. People try to force themselves off of caffeine, kicking the habit through will power alone. This is a good start but often the person will continue to crave the caffeine because the adrenals are crying out for nourishment. The following list of foods and supplements gets to the root of the problem by giving the adrenals the nutritional boost they need.
1. Royal Jelly – a powerful longevity tonic in TCM, try to buy fresh, refrigerated
2. Acerola Cherry concentrate – contains extremely high levels of Vitamin C, 1/2 Tablespoon=500% of the daily recommended requirement, vitamin C is important to adrenal health
3. Salty foods – naturally occurring sodium is found in high doses in celery, seaweed, Himalayan or Celtic sea salt. Use in moderation.
4. Bee Pollen – contains high amounts of B vitamins to heal your nerves and reduce perception of stress
5. Maca – supports and heals the adrenals, an adaptogen
Yours in health,