Greetings Dear Readers,
Cookies for Kidneys. If it sounds like a charity campaign for your organs, well, it is. Actually the Kidneys are the most depleted organ in modern people. It’s extremely rare to meet anyone with very strong kidney system even if they eat all the right foods and meditate daily. In grade school, our school had a campaign to raise money for the Kidney Foundation of Canada. We had to sell little snack size bags of roasted peanuts to our family and neighbors.
Now if only we were selling sesame seeds instead, then according to Eastern Food Therapy, we’d really be doing the kidneys a huge favour. Sesame (hei zhi ma) is warm and sweet and a tonic for the Kidneys and Liver. It is said to strengthen Yin, Jing and Blood as well as “blacken” grey hair (use black sesame) and build the spirit (Shen). Yes, you can eat cookies for a good cause.
The Kidney system is in fact the most charitable organ of our bodies. Whenever one organ is deficient in Yin or Yang, eventually it asks the Kidney system for an energy loan. The Kidney is like the savings account of the body so it always needs to be replenished for those “rainy days”. The Kidney system includes the adrenal glands in TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine). The World Health Organization recently (2010) recognized adrenal fatigue as a disease, calling it “21st Century Disease” a condition whereby frequent, prolonged and intense stress caused the adrenal glands to release cortisol which over time leads to burn-out of the adrenals or “Kidney Yang Deficiency” in TCM speak.
The Kidney system is associated with the emotion of fear in TCM. In this “Age of Precariousness” as some are calling this time of economic and job insecurity, fear is rampant. The stress toll on the body is evident as people often wake up feeling tired in spite of a long sleep, using caffeine to stimulate their adrenal system which is not strong enough to provide the energy boost and motivation (Yang) for the day ahead, having frequent infections, environmental sensitivities, and doing aerobics (which further depletes the adrenals – do weights/sit-ups instead) to eliminate the excess fat around the waist or “spare tire” which is actually caused by the adrenal insufficiency in the first place. There are a whole host of symptoms and conditions that have adrenal insufficiency at their root. I highly recoomend Dr. Wilson’s adrenal fatigue quiz as well as his book .
Now, let’s get on to those yummy cookies!
Ingredients (Makes 14 cookies)
- 1 ¼ cups almond flour (can grind almonds into flour using food processor or coffee bean grinder)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup tahini (sesame paste/butter)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon natural vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sesame seeds (un-hulled has double the calcium than hulled)
- Mix almond flour, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix maple syrup, tahini, oil and vanilla.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients bowl and mix well.
- Form the dough into 1 inch balls. Roll the ball into the sesame seeds
- Put balls onto a baking sheet and flatten with your hand.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until slightly brown
- While the cookies are baking, set the timer and squeeze in a nice breathing meditation which will also help your kidney system.
Yours in Health,